Saturday, September 4, 2010

Ride with Me

As promised, I grabbed my photographer today and we headed out to take photos of my bike route to work. Here they are:

I pass this every morning and it makes me smile to see something with Louisiana on it! I don't think it ever moves... much like many of the cars actually in Louisiana! Ha!



This is also on our block. Seems pretty random on a residential block. We often wonder what kind of store it used to be back in the day...

There are many many dogs who live on our street. This is one of the typical Aussie breeds. This guy's one of the more mature ones on our block.

This is probably the biggest house on our block. There are all kinds of styles, from the traditional Queenlander really high up off the ground, to the "cottage" type that we have, up off the ground just a little, then there are some random brick ones too.
This is our neighborhood fish and chip shop. They sell local fish like barramundi and our favorite is the reef fish called red throat. They see us there at least weekly.

This is what a typical school looks like. It's also in the Queensland style, up off the ground. Very cute. This is the local Catholic primary school.
The big banana! When we give directions to our house, it's "take a left at the big banana!" I'm not sure why it's there... that's a fishing gear shop on the corner...


Then I cross the first little bridge over barnes creek.











There have been 2 hundred-year floods in our neighborhood pretty recently. So I hope I don't see the next one... I won't be able to get to work!



Then right after that is the bigger bridge, which they're currently upgrading, spanning the Pioneer River.



Right on the other side of the bridge is the downtown area where I work. They just installed a new art piece right on the Bluewater Quay, as it's called. Of course, they must have made one of the thingees red just for me!


































Quite a few of the older downtown buildings are very Mediterranean/Spanish looking architecture, which I find odd, but nice. Not so much this one, but this is an example of what some of them look like...


2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the tour. You have a pretty envious bike ride each day. I'd like to understand that banana.

    Be sure to tighten up your helmet!. An ill-position helmet is as bad as no helmet :)

    ReplyDelete