Thursday, December 30, 2010

New Life In Brisbane

So after my very exciting but only marginally relaxing vacation (by choice of course) in NZ, I returned directly to the frying pan of life in our new home city, Brisbane.

I arrived on a Saturday and Theo flew in from Mackay to help me set up living arrangements. Everything was closed on Sunday, so we couldn't really start looking until Monday, my first day in the new office.


(my new office building)

So basically, Theo was left to do all the hard work (once again!) and I only gave my opinion now and then on lunch breaks. After a few stressful days, though, we found "the one"... an apartment within walking distance of my workplace and right next to a train station for convenience of travel.

After that, Theo had to return to Mackay to finish packing, cleaning, and sending our things off with the movers. Unfortunately, it took over a week to get our stuff back on the other end and meant sleeping on the floor again, but on the bright side, theo did such a good job cleaning our house in Mackay, we got almost all our deposit back. The real estate agency was amazed... as they should be, because I'm about 99.9% sure that theo left it about 200% cleaner than when we moved in.

It's also right next to a popular and beautiful downtown park - Roma Park.




Our new apartment is a 1 bedroom unit in a tall apartment building overlooking the city (i can see my office building), the Roma Street train station as well as the park. So we get the relaxing waterfall sound from the park as well as the screeching train noises, but we're on the 12th floor, so it's not too bad.





One side of the apartment is full floor to ceiling windows/sliding doors, which means it's nice and bright. It has a gas stove top (YAY!) as well as a clothes dryer (which I haven't had since the US), although we haven't used it much. The building also has a lap pool and small gym, other amenities we haven't had in awhile, which is nice. We can pretty much walk or bus or train it to whatever we need, restaurants, grocery stores, even concert venues, which we've already visited, as I surprised theo with Gorillaz/De La Soul tickets for Christmas. It was really fun and we felt like we were finally back in civilization.

No comments:

Post a Comment