Thursday, January 28, 2010

The Art of Detachment, or the Lack Thereof




I was inspired by a friend Conor's blog post about things he's going to bring and miss on his year-long world rugby tour (http://willtravelforrugby.blogspot.com). I started thinking about the things I packed and the things I wish I wouldn't have packed in the 6 large suitcases Theo and I managed to bring. On the airlines, we were allowed 2 suitcases each for free. So we paid for an extra each. When you work out the math for shipping, it ended up costing less this way.

I think I did a pretty good job whittling down my belongings for someone who's never made this big of a move before, although my mother may disagree when she looks at the boxes of stuff I left at her house. But I think when you look at the big picture of downsizing from a 3-bedroom house to practically nothing, It was a big accomplishment for me.

When you're going to a brand new place, I think it's important to surround yourself with things that really make you feel good inside, that will instantly make any space cozy and undeniably yours. Decorations are important to me, especially those that make me think of a person, place, or if it's just the color red (my favorite) that's good enough for me as well.

Here are some pictures of the things I'm glad I brought:




My stuff in these photos include the "Shrine to Frida," which really isn't a shrine, it just looks like that! On the "shrine" you'll (maybe) see a cross from Mexico, a buddha, an elephant, and Bader's head scarf, used to expertly disguise an empty box.

I also brought a Mexican blanket (originally Bader's, I think) and dreamcatchers Theo and I bought on a trip through Arizona & New Mexico. The blanket has come in very handy, and I've only had one bad dream since we've been here ;)

Reminders of loved ones are also important. I managed to pack the photo of my grandparents and a couple of other small photo books, but couldn't fit the majority of my stockpile of photos, or my scrapbook of concert tickets, stubs, etc. I definitely couldn't leave without my baby boy who recently passed. Inside the gold tin is my cat Iva's ashes, who died a couple of years ago. I had planned to bring him with me, but he didn't make it alive. He was an adventurous soul and I knew he would have loved this one.

I lot of the items I cherish were gifts from friends and family: elephants, Hindu wall hanging, red fairy, kiwi birds, New Zealand lamb...

I brought the tarot cards for some reason... I don't even read them unless I'm really bored.

You obviously can't live without clothes, but unfortunately when you have nothing to put them in they end up in a pile on the floor. HA! I have about another suitcase full of clothes and shoes that I never wear because it's entirely too hot. I could have done without some of those. But who knows, I haven't experienced winter here yet. Maybe they'll get some use.

I was insistent on bringing the Wii. For a while we didn't even have a TV to use it on, but Christian was nice enough to solve that problem for us. Then we realized after a slightly smokey incident that we needed a step-up transformer. It happens to cost a couple hundred dollars so I still haven't used that item yet. Someday, I hope.

Then there are the practical items... basic hygiene necessities. We haven't really had to buy much yet, because I prepared so well for this. Because of my ultra-thrifty habits, I had extra conditioner, toothpaste, soap, lotion, etc. Good thing, because these items look to be more expensive here and I despise paying full price for anything.

There are some things we forgot, were not practical to bring, or just not possible. This is a really long list in my mind, but here are the highlights:

Mexican Foods: corn tortillas, tomatillos, green mole, mexican cheeses, chipotle peppers.

My Fave Cooking Items: pressure cooker, baking stones, gadgets, cool dishes.

Ipod dock/speaker system: we tried to find this here, but was told at the Mac store that this item is now "vintage."

Music: I had tons of CDs that I hadn't yet copied over to my laptop. I wish I had done this before we left, but the local library has been helping me reconcile this.

Last Year's Tax Return: without this item, 2009 taxes will be a little more difficult, but not impossible.

A Writing Example: I thought I was past the point of needing this for job interviews, but apparently not.

One thing I did bring with me but didn't consciously think about, was the set of binoculars my mom bought me a while ago. I randomly packed them, and they've been great to have around so I can spy on new, interesting wildlife outside my apartment window.

So I haven't completely perfected the art of detachment, and I don't think I ever will, but I do feel like I'm one step closer.

1 comment:

  1. Great post! Love the Frida shrine, Che, and dreamcatchers. Thanks for the list of things you might need, too...perhaps I can mail you some stuff soon. :)

    ReplyDelete