Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Iced Mocha

This morning, we biked to Currumbin to meet a friend of Theo's for coffee. At 9:30am it was already scorching hot, so by the time I defeated the big hill (big for unfit me, anyway) on the way, I refused to drink another hot coffee in the hotter sun (like everyone normally does). I chose an iced coffee to cool off this time, even though they cost almost double the hot coffees. I've always wondered the reason for this price difference, but today I didn't care. I ordered an iced mocha and let me tell you it was well worth the extra dough. I didn't love it just because the cafe is named Elephant Rock Cafe, with my favorite animal in the title... it was pretty awesome in its own right.

When it came to the table, it looked like a normal iced mocha, with whipped cream on top and cocoa sprinkled on top of that. So I took the spoon out and ate the cream. As I was about to move on to the liquidy portion, I noticed a bobbing blob. With my spoon, I discovered a good-sized ball of ice cream, which appeared to be covered in a delicate hard coating of maybe caramel? Whatever it was, it was delectable and totally hit the spot. When I finished that course, I moved on the third course, scraping chocolate syrup from the bottom and sides of the glass to create just the right proportion of chocolate and coffee.

Australian cafes have officially redeemed themselves in my book. I loved it so much, I didn't even share with my husband. Maybe next time, Theo...

2 comments: