Thursday, February 18, 2010

The Swirl Down Unda'

My most common request before moving to Oz was to find out whether the toilet swirls in the opposite direction in the Southern Hemisphere. So check out this video of my toilet: (never thought I would be saying THAT!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3SJk2mYnuI

If you've watched the video, you can continue reading. I don't want to burst your toilet bubble, but I've watch a few others' video and have come to the conclusion that the answer is indeterminable at this point. It really just depends on which way the water sprays in the bowl. I'm sure that John, my physics mastermind friend, could better explain why the Coriolis Effect does not affect tiny toilets the same way it does weather and oceans.. unfortunately. Would be cool if it did, I guess.

Anti-climactic at best.

4 comments:

  1. the multiple choice flush is really nice. next get a picture of that dolphin!

    ReplyDelete
  2. IIRC most swirly devices are designed in the northern hemisphere, so you'll need to device a "natural" system to see it first-hand

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fun post! Unfortunately, I don't think that's a very well controlled test. I think you need to fill up your tub or sink and pull the drain plug. You can sprinkle something like ground black pepper on top of the water to see the direction of rotation better.

    My prediction is that you'll see the water rotate in a direction opposite of what you would see in the Northern hemisphere.

    http://xkcd.com/123/

    Also, for future videos you can copy the "embed" line from the Youtube page right into your blog post and the video will appear right there in your post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @john... hmmmm, looks like another vlog is in order...

    ReplyDelete