Saturday, February 13, 2010

The Biggest Difference...so far

When I meet someone new here, I inevitably encounter some variation of one of the two following icebreakers:

a. How do you like Australia?
b. What’s the biggest difference between America and Australia?


The first is easy to answer – “It’s great!” I always say. And I mostly mean it. I mean to say, I feel that I can’t fully answer the question with all honesty since I’ve only been here 2 months or so and haven’t seen much more than the Gold Coast, or rather Kirra, Coolangatta, and Tweed Heads, the suburbs I frequent by bike. I do love the beaches and the water is beautiful here. I’m bursting at the seams to see more, but without a job, and therefore, a car, there’s not much I can do. So for now, I’m limited to my tiny corner of Australia, which I really do think is great…

The second answer has evolved over time. At first, I would say - “It’s more laid back.” When we arrived the holiday season was just arriving as well, which did emphasize this difference even more, I have to admit. But it was a great way to highlight the difference. I was submitting resumes and contacting recruiters straight off the boat, despite the festive season. At one point, the progress was completely stifled. I received an “out of office” email message stating that the person’s office would be closed until January 2nd. I was pretty shocked. I had been warned that things “shut down” around the holidays, but I figured it would be individuals on holiday, not entire offices! Not only are Aussies’ speech and attire more laid back (no shirt, no shoes, no worries, Mate!), but their work lives apparently are, too. I don’t meet many people here who have to work two or three jobs in order to support their families, as is the case a lot in the US. Talking to a friend about my job prospects, I was asked, “Do you plan to work full time or casual?” I didn’t even know I had a choice! But that’s how people think here. It’s not a given that someone will or need to work full time. The minimum wage is around twice as much as in most States. Why should you work full time when you can live on a part-time salary? Some will simply ask, “Are you working right now?” To me, this is taking life seriously. This may not be indicative of all Australia, but it seems to me that many in the Gold Coast really know how to achieve good work/life balance.

That was my first impression. The longer I’m here, the more I learn about the differences in Australia’s social welfare system. I already knew they had a pretty good public health care system. As a New Zealand citizen, Theo is entitled to this benefit, and if I were a permanent resident I would be too. But to my amazement, it’s even better than just that. New mothers receive a payment of $5,000 from the government upon delivery of each child. Then there’s also a fortnightly payment to the family. And another when the child enters school. Recently another was given as a stimulus effort - a payment for each child at Christmas. Maternity Leave benefits are rather progressive, with paid leave soon to be extended to 18 weeks. Women may also opt to take 52 weeks off work unpaid, with a guarantee of her job back when she returns. These are examples of true dedication to “family values,” so I feel like spewing every time I hear a conservative politician in the US use it for their platform. I already knew how much our health care system sucks in the US, but this is just twisting the knife.

Of course these are just my initial gut reactions to general questions; there are many other differences I could point out, such as shopping, food, language, etc., and I will surely write about them in future blog posts. As I learn more and see more, I’m sure my impressions will evolve and change, but then again maybe not much.

6 comments:

  1. Fascinating.

    And yes, whenever I talk about abortion (I'm pro-choice), I always bring up the fact that we don't take care of new moms and babies.

    Do you plan on becoming a permanent resident?

    ReplyDelete
  2. so true, missy. it's so sad. i really want us to be the great nation we say we are...

    i probably will become a permanent resident. it would be silly not to...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good points about family values.

    Every US citizen of voting age should be required to spend half a year living outside of the states. I bet if that happened we'd already have universal health care. How could anyone go back after visiting a doctor or hospital for free? Sure, taxes are expensive elsewhere. But so is a hospital visit when you're unemployed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I totally agree, John. I would like to add foreign exchange requirement for high schoolers as well... even if only for a short time. It would make a world of difference.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for writing your impressions so far! John's totally right. We are so isolated in North America and too many people are happy to never pull their head out of the sand.

    I hope you find a job or "casual work" ;) real soon so that you can get a car and we can see more photos of your adventures around the country. (although, the biking around sounds awesome too)

    ReplyDelete
  6. $5000 per child? Time to start working on a certain 9-month project, Leah ;)

    ReplyDelete