Saturday, February 27, 2010

tsunami...what tsunami?



So when I woke up this morning, I checked my email as I always do and saw a message from my mom asking if we were OK because a tsunami is headed our way. I honestly thought this was a typical "Mom overreaction" type thing, until I logged onto Facebook. I saw a panicky message from our niece in New Zealand pleading her friends in Chile to "POR FAVOR, dime que todos estan bien!" and such. I thought, that's strange... I know she recently returned from her foreign exchange stint in Chile, but that was a little frantic for mere "home away from home sickness." I kept looking at the status updates from the night before. Then I finally saw the article from NPR about the earthquake in Chile and the looming threat of a tsunami across the Pacific. And it all came together.

But by this time, Theo had already taken off for a swim at the beach - I didn't go with him because it was too chilly for me. He returns shortly and informs me that the beach is closed... I said, "Oh really? (in my sarcastic tone, of course) Because of the tsunami?" And he shrugs and says, "I don't know. The lifeguards were pulling people out of the water, but I snuck around where they weren't looking and took a swim anyway." That's my hubby... I would expect no less.

Apparently people were lined up at the Kirra Surf Lifesaving Club with binoculars, trying to spy the tsunami. But it never came. That's good, I guess.

Mid morning, the beach was populated like a typical Saturday (except for the "beach closed" sign, of course):



So we carried on with our day. The second most exciting news of the day happened at the grocery store. The long and arduous search for corn tortillas is officially over!!! It just took some time.

I really think I could live here now.

ha!

2 comments:

  1. Glad to hear the tsunami was just as little of a deal there as it was here. :)

    Yay for tortillas!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you and everyone in the Pacific is safe from the tsunami, but it's so anticlimactic and mildly disappointing...I really would have liked to see one, dammit! Happy you found the tortillas already. Now I can send you my yummy recipe for Black Bean Casserole!

    ReplyDelete