Sunday, April 11, 2010

Paddle Boarding



Ever since we first saw someone paddle boarding along our beach, Theo has been wanting to try it. Paddle boarding uses a board a lot like a surf board, but you stand on it and, well, paddle.

But when Theo asked me a couple of weeks ago if I'd like to go paddle boarding, for some reason, maybe because I wasn't paying much attention, I thought he meant paddle boating... you know, the fun, easy, sitting down activity. So I said yes, not knowing what I was agreeing to. Fortunately, shortly after I discovered what we were really going to do, we also found out we had one person too many for the session. So I was more than happy to just watch. I figured I'd watch and see how my uber-athletic husband did, then decide whether it's something I'd like to try.

So Theo's friend, Jennifer, picked us up Friday morning and we drove South to Kingscliff, a nice little suburb south of the Goldie. On the way, we went through a little bit of farmland and saw a banana farm... or is it banana orchard... banana grove, maybe? At any rate, it was cool to see. I sometimes forget where I am and that I actually live in a climate where bananas could actually be grown.

The paddle boarding lesson was held at Cudgen creek. The idea is to learn the basics on calm creek water, then when you feel confident, you can go to the mouth of the creek, where it meet the ocean and rougher waters. Theo did great on the calm water, but wasn't so steady in the ocean. Looks like he's going to need a little more practice!



While he was do that, I had a relaxing lounge on the beach, reading and taking photos of a giant (well giant to me!) pelican. I'm not used to seeing them, so it seemed fake! It just cruised up and down the creek, hanging out and eating fish. I was mesmerized by it...



While Theo was struggling to stay on top of his paddle board on the ocean waves, he looked down and saw a sting ray swim below his board. So I think I'll pass on the paddle boarding for now.

5 comments:

  1. Sounds so idyllic - except for the sting ray! What a wonderful day. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dude! If Erin and John can do it, you totally have to try it at come point. http://mahalonottrash.blogspot.com/2007/09/stand-up-paddling.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. yeah, i'm sure someday i'll try it. i was just glad to watch the first time... :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I came over from John's blog. Fellow midwesterner-turned-Aussie (well, we're applying for permanent residency). Thought I'd add my vote for paddle boating, rather than boarding. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. hey blissful, welcome! what part of oz do you live in?

    ReplyDelete