Monday, March 1, 2010

The Visitor

It was an exciting day yesterday! Conor finally arrived to begin the first leg of his world tour. Theo and I rented a car so we could greet him at the Brisbane airport. Unfortunately, it was raining like crazy during morning rush hour and took 3 times as long as it should have to get there from Kirra. Luckily, Conor is a patient person, and was probably still dazed from his 36 hour traveling purgatory. We showed him around our 'hood and acquainted him with my favorite tuber in the world - the New Zealand kumara (kind of a cross between a potato, sweet potato and taro). (Tubers the world round should be jealous of that statement.)

It's really fun having someone from the homeland to show around. It's almost like seeing everything for the first time through their eyes. And for some reason, new birds keep appearing everywhere we go... I think Conor has a bit of a Snow White effect on Australia. On the way to the airport, I saw two white cockatoos just hanging out on street lamps. Then later when we were driving around, I saw my first kookaburra. I have heard them many times and never seem to get tired of their monkey voices, but this was my first spotting... I was so excited! Then today, a couple of different birds perched right on our deck, one I've never seen before, a cute thing with velvety green wings.

We wanted to immerse Conor directly into Aussie cuisine so today for lunch, Theo served up kangaroo sausages. Theo and I have eaten kangaroo steaks before, but this was a first for sausage. It was really nice! Very lean... and I think I like them better than regular Aussie sausages.

Unfortunately, though, the rain the past two days has been of epic proportions, causing the boys' touch and rugby practices to be canceled. Hopefully it dries up soon, so we can do some proper Aussie activities.

No comments:

Post a Comment