Wednesday, March 10, 2010

New Roommate

We have a new roommate. He doesn't pay rent, but he keeps to himself.

I first spied our new little Gecko friend a couple of days ago. He's not as green as the Geico Gecko and he hasn't even whispered a word yet. He only seems to come out when Theo and Conor are gone to rugby practice or touch. I guess I'm quiet enough to make him feel comfortable. But I'm not completely comfortable with him yet, even though I know he can't hurt me. Last night, he was on the ceiling. I was going about my business, with one eye on him when all of sudden I hear a light thud. He jumped off (dropped from?) the ceiling onto a chair. He proceeded to jump from the chair to the wall, then sought refuge behind Frida.

I told Theo about it when he got home and hinted that maybe our new friend would be happier outside. He gave up before he started and said, "Nah, those buggers are too fast." Besides, Theo says he'll eat up any unwanted bugs in the house, so I guess I'd rather have a gecko than a cockroach any day.

So I guess our roommate is here to stay.



(since there's no scale, he's probably less than 2 inches long)

6 comments:

  1. We have little geckos that usually hang out on the limestone outside the house here in TX. When they get inside, we have to rescue 'em pretty fast or else they'll quickly become cat toys. I found one in the drawer under my oven once - that was fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. gabe would love to play with him. he looks really big.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha...what a smart gecko! Behind Frida is definitely an inconspicuous spot for a gecko to hide. :) I think they're cute and rather preferable, as far as critter roomies go. My Dad has befriended several in FL. Now you have to determine whether it's male or female and give it a name!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Let us know what name you pick out for him, human. He can't be just Gecko!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hmmm, I was thinking Gary if it's a boy... still working on a girl name... :)

    ReplyDelete