Sunday, March 21, 2010

Toilet Rooms

You may remember from my earlier post about our apartment that it is common here to have a floorplan allowing for a tiny separate room just for your toilet – I theorize this began as the British “Water Closet” (WC) since that’s about how big it is - the size of a closet, with a toilet in it. I call it the toilet room, for lack of a better term.

I was pretty neutral on this subject, originally thinking it was a little odd, but then concluding that it is helpful for avoiding certain smells or allowing for privacy when my husband and I need to use the bathroom for different things at the same time.

But its true value occurred to me one day when I was watching TV. It was actually an American show – they are ubiquitous on Aussie TV. I’m embarrassed to admit it was “The View,” a show I never really saw back home but due to my current extreme boredom circumstances, seemed interesting enough to watch. They were having one of their little discussions and somehow the subject of bathrooms came up. Whoopie Goldberg was saying how she refused to share bathrooms with men due to the male post-urination “shake” phenomena, which I was aware of but never gave much thought to. She was disgusted by the idea of that shake and the thought that any nearby bathroom objects could be subject to its resulting spray.

And then the light bulb came on for me. I now think the toilet room idea is genius. I also now regard the actual room with more disgust than before, but at least its effects are confined and innocent toothbrushes can remain safe.

1 comment:

  1. Wow, that's pretty enlightening! Yeah, we keep our toothbrushes FAR from the toilet area, even in our tiny bathroom (not tiny for long!).

    Incidentally, I remember learning about WC's in French class years and years ago...the French translation sounds like "doo-blah-vay-say," which is just so much fun to say. :)

    ReplyDelete