Thursday, March 4, 2010

OnTheRoad-ie

Since I have mucho time to spare these days, I've been catching up on reading time lost during past times of my life when I was at the other end of spectrum of busy-ness. The complete other end...

So at the library (my new constant friend) I stumbled upon "The Portable Jack Kerouac" compilation of JK books. It uses excerpts from various articles and books written by Kerouac, which sewn together weave one long tale which JK called "The Legend of Duluoz." I'm thoroughly enjoying it both as a sentimental reminiscence of America, as well as an indulgence of my feelings of being in a limbo of sorts... very "ontheroadie."

My favorite quote of the day (one of JK's very Buddhist sentiments, written literally on a mountain):

-Hold together, Jack, pass through everything, and everything is one dream, one appearance, one flash, one sad eye, one crystal lucid mystery, one word - Hold still, man, regain your love of life and go down from this mountain and simply be -- be -- be the infinite fertilities of the one mind of infinity, make no comments, complaints, criticisms, appraisals, avowals, sayings, shooting stars of thought, just flow, flow, be you all, be you what it is, it is only what it always is-"

from Desolation Angels, Jack Kerouac

2 comments:

  1. Awesome! That's such a great quote...and oddly reminiscent of Theo's "flow state" stuff. :) If you want to read a good Americana novel, I highly suggest "The Story of Edgar Sawtelle." Amazing story. I couldn't put it down and read all 500-something pages in a few days.

    ReplyDelete