Monday, July 5, 2010

Leah's Top 10 Miss List Intro/#10

Now that I've been living in Australia for over 6 months, the ice-breaker question of choice has now shifted to something new. It is now... "Do you miss America?" or "What do you miss most about America." I normally have a standard answer to this, which I will not reveal at this time, but I've been thinking about it more lately. Of course there are always family and friends to miss. Other than that, there are a few things that immediately come to mind, mainly foods, since I am food-obsessed.

I decided to present them to you over the next 10 days, David Letterman style, since I always enjoyed watching his Top 10 lists as a kid.

Please don't read this as a "Things Leah Wants People to Mail to Her" list. I think I've done really well adapting to the new land and its ways. I kinda pride myself on my ability to adapt, and hope that I'm honing my Buddhist-like transcendence skills. But in the end, how hard can it be? Aren't all English-speaking industrialized nations pretty similar, especially in this world of globalization?

So this list is just for entertainment's sake. And I've actually found some new favorite things and have been able to substitute cravings or create brand new (usually food) cravings when they arise.

Drum roll please...

I will now reveal Leah's Top 10 Miss List:

#10:

Certain Candy Bars and Snacks

Might as well start off with candy. As of yet, I haven't been able to find one of my favorite candy bars - Crunch. I've loved this one since I was little, and I have my own ritual for systematically eating it. There are plenty of M&Ms here, but I can't find the dark chocolate ones. Another favorite I had for taking to work for snacks was Snyder's sourdough pretzels. I don't think Aussies are big pretzel fans, because I haven't seen many...

There's no shortage of candy in Oz, but it is quite a bit more expensive. It can cost more than $2 for a single candy bar, $1 if you're lucky and it's on sale. Not sure why... Maybe a junk food tax? Maybe they're all imported (this is part of the Cadbury kingdom)? But I guess it doesn't hurt to have a deterrent for my sugar cravings. I used to stock up on Crunch bars when occasionally I got them for 25 cents each, 40 cents on a bad day. That's not going to happen here!

But I am still able to get my hands on dark chocolate Kit Kats, and discovered the creamy pleasures of Whittaker's dark chocolate blocks. Then there's always the Cadbury products, my favorite of which is the Caramel bars... yum!

So stay tuned for the rest of the list!!

1 comment: