Friday, July 23, 2010

Miss List #3

#3: Chipotle

It is no secret that I'm addicted to Chipotle. I could not get enough of it from the moment I moved to Kansas City and discovered it through my co-workers in 2000. I still remember my "first time" and how it was impossible to eat the burrito without making a huge mess. I also remember when they finally moved across the KC border into Wyandotte County. My fellow Chipotle aficionados and I made a party of it, we were so happy!

One time, Theo and I even dragged our little sister to one on halloween and dressed up in foil, just to get our free halloween burrito! She definitely thought we were crazy at first, then I think she secretly enjoyed it. (These are the lengths we go to...)

It was always the fallback dinner decision when Theo and I couldn't decide what to have for dinner... One of us would say... Chipotle? and the other one always agreed. :)

My favorite is barbacoa with the hottest sauce and sour cream. Ahhhh, the flavors...

I even offered my services directly to Chipotle. Since I just happened to be conveniently moving to Australia, I suggested to them that I could help set up the first overseas branch. But they politely declined my gracious offer (I couldn't even believe they answered my email, to tell you the truth!!). I really did understand, though, since they source most of their meat from farms that don't use antibiotics, and try to use local ingredients, it would be quite a setup ordeal.
Last year, they did finally expand overseas, albeit to London. You can really blame them, Europe is a much bigger market. But I can still dream...

3 comments:

  1. Awww...I wish I could mail you some, grrrl. We like Chipotle, but there are other burrito joints here that we prefer, like Laughing Planet and Salvador Molly's. Who doesn't love a good burrito, right?
    Ya know, the setup wouldn't be TOO tricky. I mean, honestly, Oz has grassfed beef and probably free-range local chickens and pigs...or at least, I'd think so. I know Oz is big on cows, anyway. Shoot.
    Come to think of it, you could always just start your own Chipotle-esque burrito joint. I mean, why not?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought about it... too much work!! From what I hear, starting/owning a restaurant is really hard and most restaurants fail anyway! The most difficult part would importing the tomatillos and correct chilies for the salsa. At some point, you just gotta give in and accept that it's not worth the cost/difficulty/carbon footprint, ya know? I'll just leave it to someone else!

    ReplyDelete
  3. (at least I assume you'd have to import that stuff... they're pretty strict about introducing new species of plants to different countries, and I doubt australia has any native tomatillos!! haha!)

    ReplyDelete